1. Nunan’s Lobster Hut, founded in 1932, is the most famous of Kennebunkport’s top 7 casual places for Maine lobster. This is the ultimate lobster pound-type place; it has long tables, bench seats, communal seating and serves only lobster; but it serves the best blueberry pie (my opinion) in Maine. Nunan’s does not take reservations and there is usually a wait for seating in peak season.
2. Alisson’s is a Dock Square institution where locals go for excellent seafood and a variety of specialty suds on tap. Quality food, reasonable prices in a pub-type atmosphere; what more could you ask? Yes, they serve freshly steamed lobsters too!
3. Arundel Wharf is a seasonal restaurant which is situated almost across the street from the Captain Lord Mansion. It has a deck overlooking the Kennebunk River where Bev and I enjoy an adult beverage on a lazy summer afternoon. Their lobsters are freshly caught and delicious. Perhaps you might see at the Wharf’s deck bar one of the lobstermen who caught your crustacean!
4. Cape Pier Chowder House is located right on the pier in Cape Porpoise and it is just the place for freshly-steamed lobsters for lunch. Choose your live lobster out of their tank and then enjoy your meal while gazing over the Cape Porpoise Harbor. Watch the lobster boats come and go and listen to the squawk of seagulls in the distance. This is quintessential Maine!
5. Federal Jacks is the home of Shipyard Ale and overlooks the Kennebunk River. Lots of fresh seafood choices, chowders, crisp salads and, of course, freshly caught Maine lobsters are always on the menu. This is another watering hole for the locals where you can rub shoulders with lobstermen and tradesmen.
6. Mabel’s Lobster Claw has gained fame because it is one of George H. W. Bush’s (41)favorite of Kennebunkport’s Top 7 casual places for Maine Lobster. Bev’s dad always loved the restaurant’s famous baked stuffed lobster (pictured here) which is a unique menu item in Kennebunkport. Frankly, I don’t know how her dad ever finished the dish; it was that large! So, if you are looking for adequate portions, this is the place for you. From the Captain Lord Mansion, this restaurant is a short walk along Ocean Avenue. The Captain Lord Mansion is offering a Lobster Adventure Cruise combined with a lobster dinner at Mabel’s. Here is a link explaining this Adventure Package.
7. The Clam Shack, which is conveniently positioned on the bridge in Dock Square, is not really a “lobster pound”; however, it has the best fried clams in the town. Also, it is adjacent to a Seafood Market where you can purchase live lobsters to go. Beware of low flying seagulls which will snatch your french fries!
There you have it; Kennebunkport’s top 7 casual places for Maine lobster dinners. Your Innkeeper, Rick Litchfield