This blog posting is for the 9 best lobster restaurants in Maine for casual lobster dinners as recommended by the Captain Lord Mansion, the #1 rated Kennebunkport bed and breakfast by TripAdvisor.
1. Nunan’s Lobster Hut is the most famous of Kennebunkport’s seasonal lobster pounds, founded in 1932. This is the ultimate lobster pound-type place; it has long tables, bench seats, communal seating and serves only lobster; but it serves the best blueberry pie (in my opinion) in Maine. Nunan’s does not take reservations and there is usually a wait for seating in peak season.
2. Alisson’s is a Dock Square institution where locals go for excellent seafood and an excellent variety of specialty craft beers on 22 rotating taps. Quality food, reasonable prices in a pub-type atmosphere; what more could you ask? It is open year-round and yes, they serve freshly steamed lobsters too, perfect for an authentic Maine lobster dinner!
3. Arundel Wharf is a seasonal Kennebunkport lobster restaurant which is situated almost across the street from the Captain Lord Mansion. It has a deck overlooking the Kennebunk River where Bev and I enjoy an adult beverage on a lazy summer afternoon. Their lobsters are fresh and delicious. Perhaps you might see one of the lobstermen who caught your crustation at the deck bar!
4. The Cape Pier Chowder House is located right on the pier in Cape Porpoise and it is just the place for freshly-steamed lobsters for lunch. Choose your live lobster out of their tank and then enjoy your freshly prepared lobster while gazing over beautiful Cape Porpoise Harbor. Watch the lobster boats come and go and listen to the squawk of seagulls as they dip and soar in the distance. It is a quintessential seasonal Maine experience, one that we love to enjoy ourselves.
5. Federal Jack’s is the home of Shipyard Ale and overlooks the Kennebunk River and is open year-round Lots of fresh seafood choices, chowders, crisp salads and, of course, freshly caught Maine lobsters are always on the menu. This is another watering hole for the locals where you can rub shoulders with lobstermen and local tradesmen.
6. Mabel’s Lobster Claw has gained fame because it was one of George H. W. Bush’s (41) favorite casual seasonal restaurants. Bev’s dad always loved the restaurant’s famous baked stuffed lobster which is a unique menu item here in Kennebunkport. Frankly, I don’t know how her dad ever finished the dish; it was that large! So, if you are looking for more-than-adequate portions, this is the place for you. From the Captain Lord Mansion, this restaurant is a short walk along Ocean Avenue.
7. The Pilot House is year-round and is a truly “locals favorite” casual restaurant. It is tucked away behind another restaurant (Ports of Italy) and is worth discovering. This is where many locals dine and the food, though not fancy, is excellent.
8. The Spirit of Massachusetts is a 125-foot schooner built right here in New England at the Charlestown Naval Shipyard. Her launch in 1984 was celebrated in Boston Harbor with a tall ship festival that welcomed over 80 tall ships from all over the world. After her launch she served as a goodwill ambassador for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts while sailing the globe as an educational vessel. In 2014 The Spirit of Massachusetts was restored and brought to her new home in Kennebunk. This Maine lobster restaurant is now open seasonally serving cocktails and small plates and is a terrific way to enjoy a meal on the Kennebunk River.
9. The Clam Shack is another seasonal place which is conveniently positioned on the bridge in Dock Square, is not really a “lobster pound”; however, it has the best fried clams and reportedly the best lobster roll sandwich in the town. Also, it is adjacent to a seafood market where you can purchase live lobsters to go. Beware of low flying seagulls which will snatch your French fries!
Enjoy some of the best lobster restaurants in Maine and more from the comfort of the Captain Lord Mansion!Book Now