Yes, it DOES occasionally rain in Southern Maine. But don’t let a few showers dampen your vacation fun. There’s plenty to do when the sun’s too shy to shine. Here are five places that will entertain, educate, and generally help you enjoy the day, whatever Mother Nature has in mind.
1. The Seashore Trolley Museum, just a few minuted from downtown Kennebunkport, offers an exciting and unique experience as you ride beautifully restored, antique trolley cars from around the world, on tracks that take you back in time. Founded in 1939 with just one car, its collection now includes more than 250 fascinating vehicles. Most cars are completely enclosed, letting you enjoy the ride while keeping the sprinkles out.
2. The Brick Store Museum in the center of Kennebunk is a real treasure, preserving the rich heritage of this part of the coast of Southern Maine. The original brick structure was built in 1825, by William Lord (of Capt. Lord Mansion fame). The Museum began on the second floor in 1938 and has expanded several times since then. Bev and I particularly enjoy finding unique and “just perfect” gifts in the Museum Store.
3. The Kennebunkport Historical Society is headquartered in the magnificent 1853 Greek Revival Nott House, complete with original furnishings, in a lovely Victorian garden setting. It is open June 3 through October 6, providing an authentic glimpse of life in Kennebunkport in the mid-1800s.
4. The Lighthouse Depot on Rte. 1 in nearby Wells is a mecca for all lighthouse enthusiasts! Its extensive offerings include everything “lighthouse” – from books, CDs, paintings, and miniature reproductions, to the more whimsical snowglobes, suncatchers, even lighthouse boxer shorts! A fabulous place to spend a few thoroughly enjoyable shopping hours.
5. Prefer to just kick back and relax until the clouds roll by? Why not get comfy in the Captain Lord Mansion‘s warm and welcoming Gathering Room? Grab a cup of coffee or tea (always available) and bring a good book, or go downstairs and test your skills at the inn’s challenging jigsaw puzzle. And if either Bev or I are around, we’d love to stop by for a chat!
Before you know it, the sun’s out – and so are you!
Rick Litchfield, Your Innkeeper