100 Reasons to Visit Kennebunkport
To Celebrate the 100th visit to the Captain Lord Mansion by one couple in October 2014, we have compiled 100 reasons to visit our romantic Maine Coast Inn. Enjoy the many reasons you have for loving Kennebunkport and the Mansion!
1. One couple, The Nelsons, have visited Captain Lord Mansion 100 times (Oct 2014 – 100th visit) they have been visiting several times a year since 1983. We must be doing something right!
2. Captain Lord Mansion has been chosen by Select Registry to be included among 400 Distinguished Country Inns of North America.
3. Captain Lord Mansion has been an AAA Four Diamond rated B&B for over 35 years.
4. If Maine is Vacationland, guests say the Captain Lord Mansion is romanceland!
5. Meet two of the longest serving innkeepers in the biz, Rick and Bev, your hosts at Captain Lord Mansion since 1978!
6. Captain Lord Mansion includes the Captain’s Garden House, an 1807, 5,000 sq. ft. building adjacent to the main inn. It has four guest rooms decorated similar to the Mansion.
7. Captain Lord Mansion just celebrated the building’s 200 anniversary; 1814-2014!
8. Kennebunkport is the only town in the world so named, so it should be on your “bucket” list.
9. From Captain Lord Mansion take the easy walk to Dock Square’s shops and restaurants.
10. On your 10th Visit to the Captain Lord Mansion you will get your name engraved on a stone which is placed in the inn’s “Memory Garden”. The “Memory Garden” is where you become part of the inn’s celebrated history with your own engraved stone.
11. Lobster is always on the menu in Kennebunkport, see Rick & Bev’s favorite spots for Lobster.
12. Captain Lord Mansion has been a Yankee Magazine “Editor’s Pick”.
13. Captain Lord Mansion has been selected to be included in the new and exclusive Forbes Magazine Travelguide.
14. Captain Lord Mansion was named “Top 50 Small Hotels in the US” by Conde Nast Traveler.
15. Captain Lord Mansion offers you restful luxury after visiting nearby lighthouses.
16. Captain Lord Mansion offers couples massages in the Mansion’s on-premise Day Spa.
17. Captain Lord Mansion offers you celebratory upgrades of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and cheese platters; they can be waiting in your room upon arrival.
18. At the Captain Lord Mansion awake to freshly-brewed coffee from a Nespresso machine.
19. Return from your day of exploring Maine to find gourmet cheese, crackers, fresh fruit and sweets served in Captain Lord Mansion’s country kitchen.
20. Captain Lord Mansion was voted “Most Romantic Bed & Breakfast” by the readers of the York County Coast Star for 4 consecutive years!
21. Captain Lord Mansion innkeepers are pleased to share their favorite Kennebunkport area restaurants with “foodies”
22. Captain Lord Mansion three-course breakfast menu changes daily – strawberry filled French toast, farm-fresh egg soufflé or Mansion “Stackers” – a potato pancake layered with smoked ham and scrambled eggs covered with a melted cheddar cheese sauce…yum!
23. Captain Lord Mansion’s beautiful gardens offer guests a great place to relax and unwind.
24. Captain Lord Mansion is just a short walk from your lobster boat tour on the Rugosa.
25. Stay at Captain Lord Mansion overlooking the Kennebunk River where you can hoist a sail aboard “The Schooner Eleanor” or “Pineapple Ketch”, two beautiful sailboats offering coastal excursions.
26.”Christmas Prelude” at Captain Lord Mansion is the merriest time of year… the inn is always decked with festive holiday decor and full of good cheer.
27. Bike along beautiful Ocean Avenue on a Captain Lord Mansion bicycle.
28. Why go to Asia when you can stay in the “Oriental” deluxe room at Captain Lord Mansion?
29. Be a champion in Captain Lord Mansion’s “Champion”, a deluxe room with a great bath.
30. Captain Lord Mansion honeymooners may enjoy the “Merchant” Captain’s Suite, a very special 3-room suite with incredible bath amenities such as a double body-jet shower, a jetted double-size tub in front of a fireplace, double vanities and heated marble floor.
31. At Captain Lord Mansion celebrate Maine’s bountiful harvest in the “Harvest” Room.
32. Captain Lord Mansion’s front lawn is a beautiful park owned by the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust and known as the “River Green”.
33. A short walk from Captain Lord Mansion is where you can cast a line and fish from the “Breakwater” or you may also charter a deep sea fishing trip.
34. From Captain Lord Mansion you can walk to “Blowing Cave” and watch the ocean make a spectacular spray as it crashes into an eroded rock cave .
35. From Captain Lord Mansion take another walk along Ocean Ave and have your photo taken at “Spouting Rock” where the ocean spouts high through a rock cleft.
36. Visit Captain Lord Mansion’s recommended “Top 7” art galleries in Kennebunkport Maine
37. At Captain Lord Mansion’s Day Spa savor the scent of the sea with a Salt Glow Body Treatment.
38. In front of the Captain Lord Mansion tour “Ganny’s Garden”, a beautiful garden tribute to former First Lady, Barbara Bush.
39. Captain Lord Mansion offers you comfortable Adirondak-style lawn chairs and cooling shade under grand maple and chestnut trees which grace the inn’s lawn.
40. Captain Lord Mansion’s Gathering Room is where you’ll meet interesting guests from all over the globe.
41Lord Mansion is a registered State of Maine “Eco-Friendly” Lodging Property, so Go Green!
42. Captain Lord Mansion was recently named a “Most Romantic Inn” by BedandBreakfast.com
43. Captain Lord Mansion, during the past 5 years, has raised over $25,000 for breast cancer research with its annual “Dime for Time” program.
44. Captain Lord Mansion in 2014 is hosting its 5th annual “Breast Cancer Survivor Weekend” a free -of-charge getaway to some of those women bravely battling breast cancer.
45. Captain Lord Mansion is a “Top 10 Inn of North America” awarded by Country Inns Bed & Breakfast Magazine!
46. Captain Lord Mansion improves your odds of receiving a “Yes” when proposing to your loved one! Many successful proposals have occurred at the inn!
47. Celebrating anniversaries at Captain Lord Mansion are a smart “happy-marriage” move!
48. At Captain Lord Mansion bathrooms matter; enjoy luxurious marble baths with heated floors, Hydro-massage body-jet showers, and double jacuzzi-style tubs.
49. At Captain Lord Mansion you will sleep in tremendous comfort on “Comfy” brand sheets and posturepedic mattresses with memory-foam toppers.
50. At Captain Lord Mansion you will love the luxurious bathrobes and large thick towels.
51. Captain Lord Mansion provides hairdryers and European-style lighted makeup mirrors, so leave yours at home!
52. Captain Lord Mansion is switching to guest amenities from William Roam, the only products made in the US.
53. At Captain Lord Mansion enjoy fresh flowers and a convenient small refrigerator in your room.
54. At Captain Lord Mansion enjoy Kennebunkport’s annual “February is for Lovers” month-long celebration of romance; there isn’t a more romantic B&B in Maine!
55. From Captain Lord Mansion you can walk to a dozen art galleries; Kennebunkport is an acclaimed artist enclave.
56. Motivated by Captain Lord Mansion’s tasteful antique furnishing, you can shop for your own treasures at several nearby fine antique shops
57. From Captain Lord Mansion find sea-glass jewelry, Maine crafts and cool clothing which are displayed in nearby Dock Square shops
58. Captain Lord Mansion can create a picnic for your day at the beach, touring the coast or sitting on their scenic lawn.
59. Captain Lord Mansion is in a quiet, classic residential neighborhood of beautiful 17th and 18th century Colonial and Federal period homes.
60. At Captain Lord Mansion you can stay in the Deluxe Excelsior room with its fine furniture, spaciousness, high ceilings and marble bath all of which evokes the feeling of a true mansion.
61. Captain Lord Mansion is one of the Historic Inns of Kennebunkport.
62. From Captain Lord Mansion walk to most of the annual “Kennebunkport Festival” events, a town wide celebration of fine food, wine, art and music.
63. Captain Lord Mansion received the “Super Star” Hotel Award by Reed Travel Group.
64. Frommer’s Guidebooks named Captain Lord Mansion a “Star Select” property.
65. Captain Lord Mansion received the “Millennium International Award of Excellence” as one of America’s Top 100 Country Inns.
66. Captain Lord offers a Happy Feet foot massage package… ooh la la!
67. Beach chairs and towels are available to Captain Lord Mansion guests, free.
68. Captain Lord Mansion was awarded with the esteemed Fodor’s Choice Award.
69. Captain Lord Mansion has received the TripAdvisor 2014 “Certificate of Excellence”.
70. Captain Lord Mansion is on Facebook so you can check in!
71. Captain Lord Mansion is on Twitter so you can tweet.
72. Captain Lord Mansion is on Pinterest and our rooms are so pin worthy.
73. Captain Lord Mansion is on Google+ so follow us and or write a review.
74. Captain Lord Mansion has its own Captain’s Blog.
75. Captain Lord Mansion homemade breakfasts are a delicious beginning to any day.
76. As part of your Captain Lord Mansion breakfast, savor Maine Maple syrup and Maine blueberries
77. Captain Lord Mansion’s Gift Shop is the “Inn” place which offers jewelry, gift items, CLM memorabilia, collectibles and small Maine-made gift items.
78. From Captain Lord Mansion it’s a short walk to Colony Beach, a perfectly picturesque spot for sunbathing.
79. Captain Lord Mansion rooms all have private baths, so no trekking down the hall!
80. Captain Lord Mansion Guests enjoy complimentary WiFi, so keep in touch, or unplug!
81. Captain Lord Mansion rooms have gas-burning fireplaces, romance with a click, no log lugging, no pollution.
82. Captain Lord Mansion has an emergency back-up generator for the rare power outage.
83. Captain Lord Mansion offers complimentary snowshoes which are a great way to tour local nature preserves in the winter.
84. Captain Lord Mansion offers birding backpacks for guests so ornithologists are welcome!
85. Captain Lord Mansion offers complimentary wine tastings, the first Saturday of each winter month.
86 Captain Lord Mansion hosts complimentary summertime “Wine Time” garden parties.
87. Captain Lord pours freshy-brewed iced-tea or lemonade on summer afternoons.
88. Captain Lord Mansion offers a winter afternoon guest treat called “Swedish Glogg”, a mulled cider and cranberry juice served from a simmering crock-pot found on the antique stove in the Mansion’s kitchen.
89. At Captain Lord Mansion breakfast is home-style cooking, so you awaken to the smell of sizzling apple-wood smoked bacon or maple sausage.
90. Captain Lord Mansion’s public “Gathering” room has a gorgeous huge fireplace which is found blazing nine months of the year
91. At Captain Lord Mansion breakfast may include Petite Belgian waffles or Maine blueberry pancakes with Maine maple syrup
92. Nearby Captain Lord Mansion explore on foot or bicycle the “Eastern Trail”, a 6.2 mile pathway through the peaceful Maine woods
93. Take another short walk from Captain Lord Mansion to visit the “First Family Museum” at the Kennebunkport Historical Society’s “White Columns” to see lots of Bush memorabilia, as well as take an historic house tour.
94. From Captain Lord Mansion walk to Walkers Point and get that Presidential point photo!
95. In the Captain Lord Mansion “Memory Garden”, have your picture taken with our dogs, Nate and Toby…they don’t bite – they’re bronze!
96.On the Captain Lord Mansion front lawn, take in summer theater, call it “stay and play”; MaineStage Shakespeare produces plays summer evenings on the River Green, or
97. From Captain Lord Mansion take in a Broadway-style show at nearby Arundel Barn Playhouse or Ogunquit Playhouse.
98. From Captain Lord Mansion follow the Maine Art Museum Trail along the scenic Maine coast to visit seven unique art museums showcasing 53,000 works of art.
99. Visit Captain Lord Mansion 100 times, like Hal & Kathi Nelson, and you could be honored by having a “Memory Garden” Fountain named for you!
100. If you don’t visit Captain Lord Mansion this year, you’ll be another year older before you do.