The "River Green" sits directly in front of the Captain Lord Mansion and stretches between Pleasant Street and Ocean Avenue. Today, the sloping lawn is well manicured and is home to various summer events such as art shows, craft fairs and band concerts. There is quite an interesting story of how the green came to be preserved as an open space for the benefit of tourists and townspeople alike!
Originally, in the 1800's there were 3 houses on the land. Charles P. Clark was the owner of the Lord Mansion at the turn of the century (1899-1900) and he had the houses removed so that there was an unobstructed view of the Kennebunk River. Charles was the grandson of Nathaniel Lord, builder of the Mansion. He was also president of the New York – New Haven railroad and quite a wealthy individual. His purchase of the land and his removal of the houses created an open space that continues to be enjoyed by many today.
The Lord Mansion, including the green, remained in the Lord family for 7 generations until 1972 when it was sold out of the family to a James Throumoulos. That sale generated awareness amongst some townspeople that the green might be in jeopardy of being developed; thus it was the catalyst for the formation of the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust. They raised sufficient money to purchase the green from Jim and thereby preserve it. The stone memorial shown in the foreground of this photograph celebrates the preservation of the green by the Trust. As of today, the Trust has received as donations or purchased a tremendous amount of land throughout Kennebunkport that otherwise might have seen unwise development. We are grateful for this organization and its foresight to preserve parts of our town for the enjoyment of future generations.
The first Robert Dennis photo catches the "Village Green" in early May before the leaves totally obscure the Captain Lord Mansion. The second Dennis photo shows the green with a coat of winter white.
Your Innkeeper, Rick Litchfield